Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Presidents' Day Adventures

Yesterday Ben and I took a little day trip to Springfield, IL. It was a pretty sunny day, though pretty chilly, and a great way to spend a day off.

One of the site we saw while we were there was the Lincoln Home National Historic Site. This is the house that Lincoln lived in with Mary and their boys while he was practicing law in Springfield. They lived here for seventeen years (until they moved to Washington), and it's the only house he ever owned.

This is Mary Lincoln's actualy cookstove. It was never moved out and replaced. I was soooo itching to touch it. I wonder if they ever have reenactors that get to use it? I forgot to ask the ranger who gave us the tour. I sort of doubt they would ever light a fire in it though... seems like that would be some sort of insurance liability or something, to light a fire in such an historical house.

And here is my hand touching the banister that Abraham Lincoln touched. The banister is also dates back to when the Lincolns lived in the house, so I got to touch something they all touched. It was cool. Ben laughed at me when I took this picture, but I told him it would be the highlight of my "We went to Abraham Lincoln's House Where He Used To Live in Springfield" scrapbook.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I would have been geeked out at touching the banister too. :) That is a fantastic stove! Sounds like a fun day.

Bonnie Story said...

A great day to visit a very important place. I agree, that stove is gorgeous! I love the "counter" on the front with great tile! They say everything old is new again... Happy President's Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails