Monday, February 09, 2009

Warm Spell

The weather has been very nice the last couple of days, and everything outside is thawed and soggy now. I'm concerned the chicken coop might sink into the mud so much that'll it'll be really difficult to move later, but I suppose if that happens, we can just dig it out. I don't know what I could do to prevent it, though next year, I might have to plan ahead when we park it and put it on some planks to keep the wheels free.

This morning, Big Mama chicken was out of the coop again, having slept under the deck. She gets her self out through the opening in the chicken wire at the top of their extension yard and then can't get back in for bedtime. So, I spent the day making a tarp to cover the top of the yard. I used the duraweave bags that the feed comes in, cut them open flat and sewed them end to end. They were too slippery and the whole thing was too unwieldly to go through the machine, so I ended up sewing them with really strong button thread by hand with a backstitch. Three chicken feed bags and a Tidy Cat's bag made a tarp just the right size. I sew felt to each corner to reinforce and grip the grommets, and when Ben comes home, we'll pound grommets in on each corner. I'll post some pictures later this week after we get it in place. It'll be good to have to keep them in, but it's going to be really nice for some extra shade this summer.

I was supposed to make a roast chicken for dinner today, but it hasn't thawed yet. I never seem to take enough thawing days into account when I get things out for dinner. I did a little switching with my menu, and we'll have beans and rice instead, and by tomorrow my chicken should be thawed just fine.

Other than sewing feed bags together by hand (I'm insane, aren't I? You can tell me.), I'm just doing laundry and finishing up my toe up sock. I'm really pleased with the increasing, and hopefully, I'll be industrious enough to finish it this afternoon, and get to post pictures of it tomorrow. I don't know why I put it off so long, it's finished up pretty quickly, and I can't wait to get started on the matching one.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

molly said...

Hi, Bethany! Sorry to have been away so long--I have been able to peek in now and then. How about this weather? I just hope we don't have a tornado. they scare me!

I always forget to thaw things too and I often use the run it under cool water trick. Works great for frozen bacon.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful week!

Oh, our church is having ladies bunco nights occasionally and the last one was really fun. . .if you want to, I'll let you know when the next one is and you are welcome to come. . .I had never played bunco before. Have you?
Molly

Bethany said...

Molly, Hi!
I'm glad your computer is better now. I hope no tornados! Don't even say it! I'd end up panicking and trying to drag the cats to the crawl space with me. I don't think it would work.

I never have played bunco, but I've heard it's lot of fun. Thanks for the invite!

Related Posts with Thumbnails