Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my birthday, and I'm planning myself a special dinner of pork chops. The real celebration will take place tomorrow, because Ben is taking the whole day off of work, and we're going out to do fun stuff.

I'm feeling like my birthday gets spread out all through a number of days that way, and that's awesome! I had a little bit of birthday yesterday because a gift came from Alison, and I just couldn't resist opening it early. She sent me the awesomest book. It's a homemaking manual from 1916, and it's got the coolest pictures and lots of fun resources.

Yesterday evening Ben and I went to town and picked up the rest of the soil and manure for the new herb bed, went to the library, and went to church for a special presentation about mass. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I might mix up my soil and lay it down today, but it'd be a ton easier with Ben to help, considering that I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to upper body strength.

At the library, I found some interesting books that I've been wanting to read. They are both by the same historian, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, and one is a biography of a New England midwife based on that lady's own diaries and the other interprets colonial social life through household objects, especially textiles and things used in their production. So, I might have to spend some time cozied up on the couch reading today as well.

The talk Father gave at church about mass was very interesting and it was pretty cool to learn about the origins of the different customs and language and objects we use. Here's the take-away fact that he used to open the evening. The word "mass" comes from the latin word "missio" which means "dismissal" like a sending out, I suppose, becuase that's how mass ends. The mass is dismassed with the admonition "go to love and serve the Lord". In the early church, the services were known for the dismissal, and missio caught on as the name of the service, and in common use became "mass".

Anyway, I'm planning a fairly quiet day today, with laundry and finishing up with cleaning my sewing room. And maybe watching Dancing with the Stars and reading with hot chocolate on the couch and eating my pork chop dinner. It should be lots of fun!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Bethany! :) It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful day!

Bonnie Story said...

Happy Birthday!!! Here's to many more!!

Alison said...

Happy Birthday!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Happy birthday! I hope that your day is wonderful. Are you going to make yourself a cake? I'd love to see/hear about the homemaking manual. It sounds like so much fun.

Gina said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope it was amazing!

PolishWonder said...

Happy Birthday Me!!!

Bethany said...

Thank you everyone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails