Thursday, March 26, 2009

News from the Way-Back

There's a very large part of our back yard that the neighbor told me when we moved in would grow wild flowers. So I left it unmowed, and the result was a scraggly brushy mess with very tall woody weeds. We want to get it cleaned up, though we're unsure what course of action to take, since our little push mower is definately not the tool for the job. I generally just call this section the way-back, as in, "What the heck are we gonna do about the mess in the way-back of the yard?" Here is the view of the back of the house from the middle of the way-back. You can see it's brushy and a bit messy.


And here is a clue to what I found the other day in the way-back that definately does not belong there.

This is not my pine tree! Where the heck did it come from? We don't have a pine or evergreen anywhere on the property (something I'd hope to remedy this spring, but not exactly like this).


At first I thought it was a Christmas tree, but Adam pointed out I couldn't know that for sure unless there were presents under it. Sometimes my little brother is so wise. Now I'm leaning away from the dumped Christmas tree theory, since the bottom limbs aren't trimmed, and I'm thinking maybe it's one someone cleared that blew into our yard. But could a whole tree just blow here? Or is someone using our way-back as their own brush pile? All I know for sure is that it's way past time to get the way-back cleaned up and turned into the orchard!


To Do List Update:
I've finished a number of things on my big list so far. A couple (painting the porch chairs and moving the chickens) were scrapped for better weather, since it's supposed to be rainy for the next couple of days. I've scheduled what's left.

Today:
1. Bring down air mattress and set up guest bed in my sewing room.
2. Pack up the last of the St. Patrick's Day things and take them to the storage area.
3. Clear off the bill payers desk and make a verdict on it's usefullness.
4. Finish meal plan and go grocery shopping
5. Call my friend about the chairs for the homemakers' club and set up a pick up time for next week
6. Finish all laundry

Tomorrow:
1. Vacuum couch
2. Move all the furniture and sweep and mop all the floors
3. Do any food prep that can be done ahead (make fruit trays and veggie trays and crackers and cheese slices)
4. Try to win the on-going fight against cat fur on every obvious surface before my company arrives.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Ooohhh the mystery tree! :) An orchard sounds fantastic!

Bethany said...

I know, right? How does a random dead tree just show up in a person's yard?!

siteseer said...

Sounds like you're very busy. Hope you get it all done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails