Monday, March 02, 2009

Sausage Gravy

Here it is, what everyone has been waiting for:
Action Photos of me making Sausage Gravy!

Start by crumbling pork sausage in your skillet and cooking it till no pink remains. Spoon it out, pour out all the fat and then return about three-four tablespoons of fat to the pan.
The sausage we bought happened to be pretty lean, so I added two tablespoons of butter to the pan after removing the sausage.
Sprinkle in about three tablespoons of flour and start whisking....
And whisking. When the flour has cooked and browned, your "roux" (fancy french word for fat/flour thickening paste) is ready.
Start pouring in a cup or so of milk a bit at a time, whisking all the while to incorporate the lumps and such.
Keep pouring and whisking, practicing a little faith, because it'll look like you messed it up at this point, but if you just keep going, you'll get gravy.

Bring it to a bubble, because flour won't reach it's full thickening power until you boil it. You can judge the consistency yourself and add a bit a milk at a time till it's as loose as you like. Bear two things in mind: 1. You can always make it thinner, but if you get it way too thin, it's difficult to thicken back up. And 2. It will thicken slightly after it's off the burner and has cooled a bit, so make it a tad looser than you'd think.

Add the gravy to the sausage (or the sausage to the gravy) and mix it all up.

Serve this over split open biscuits or on toast or over eggs. The leftovers make great "sauce" on Breakfast Pizza. And Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Oh yum! I love sausage gravy! It is definitey as much of an art as it is a science. But so worth learning! I am going to have to try making your breakfast pizza.

Bonnie Story said...

More fabulous foods! We happen to have a lot of sausage here, that we made with our wonderful neighbors, and I will be using this gravy recipe. I need to be bold and not worry about boiling it! That was my mistake last time, and that gravy never got the great body and thickness going. Now I know! Great post. Bonnie

Mama Kelly said...

Im going to have to give this a try. My hubby spent his teeens living in southern Virginia and this would be a nice treat for him.

Bethany said...

I'm glad you guys were inspired. Personally, I'm not a big fan, because I don't enjoy the spices in that kind of sausage. But it sure is a big treat for Ben, so I like to pull out the big guns and make it for him every once in a great while.

I learned how to make this from watching Alton Brown, so I'd guess it's close to the authentic southern dish. Doesn't seem like there could be that many ways to make a pan dripping gravy anyway.

Ben says the quality of the sausage is a big part of it. We got ours from the local grocery store where they grind and season it themselves.

Blue Castle said...

Once I learned the trick to making gravy, my cooking life got a lot easier. I can make gravy out of practically anything now. Your gravy looks delicious with that sausage. Yum. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails