Monday, April 20, 2009

First Communion Dress Project - Part 1

On Friday, I got started on the initial steps for my niece's First Communion Dress. Her Communion in May 16th, so I'd like to have it finished and in the mail by May 4th, which will give me two weeks to finish it, and my sister two weeks to find shoes and a slip. It also will leave two weeks of time to solve any problems that might arise.

I'm using McCall's 2590 which has a plain scoop neckline, but Julia wants her dress to be the kind that's a faux wrap, with a layer underneath, like the shirt in McCall's 5794. The under layer will be the perfect place to showcase some embroidery.

First I cut out the pattern. I used the smallest size in the pattern, but used the largest size for the side seams, just in case I'll need extra room to let it out.

Then I traced the pattern onto plain paper, and use my french curve to draw the cutting line for the new neckline. I used my pattern making wheel to draw the style line where the finish neckline will fall.

Using the new pattern piece and knowing where the neckline will actually be, I drafted the triangle shaped piece that will fill in the neckline and look like a layer under the dress. I also added a bit to the bottom of the the pattern to help with coverage in the overlap on the bottom bodice piece. The top bodice piece will follow the original design line.



Then, I got paranoid that it might not fit her when I have it all finished, so I made a mock-up bodice out of horrendously ugly scrap fabric and set it out priority to have a bit a fitting before I cut into the bridal satin. I lowered the neckline before I sent it though, because I could already tell that it was too high here.

Today, I'm going to draft some cap sleeves, because we don't like the sleeves that came with the pattern, and I'm going to start embroidering a label for inside the dress, since I don't want to go too much farther with any cutting or designing for this particular size, since I'm not positive it will fit her yet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Julie said...

Awww! It's going to be really cute!

Worknprogress said...

WOW! What an awesome seamstress you are. I hope all goes well and the fitting is just right!

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Dang...you are a master!!!! :) I can't wait to hear more about it.

Bethany said...

Thanks guys! I sure hope it'll turn out well, and fit her. It shouldn't be too hard to fit a slim little girl, since there's no trouble problems yet, but this is pretty important, so it concerns me!

First Communion Dresses said...

Looks like it can be a great success. Can't wait to see the dress!

Erin D said...

I am actually working on McCall's 5794, and was wanting to add a layer underneath, but was wondering how to do it. Thanks so much for your tips! Can't wait to try it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails