Monday, April 27, 2009

Pumpkin Leather

We have a lot of pumpkin puree in the freezer still from the fall, and I'd like to get it used before the summer produce has to start getting added to the freezer, so we had pumpkin pie for breakfast all last week. And it's quite strange to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast in April. But in a good way.

Anyway, this post is about leather, not pie. I found this Pumpkin Leather recipe in the Mary Bell Dehydrator Cookbook, and figure that if it didn't actually help the pumpkin get eaten faster, it would help free up some freezer space and convert it to a different storable form.
It took about 14 hours to get completely dry and I've only got two sheets for my dehydrator, so I have lots of batches in that one bowl. Especially since I doubled the original recipe, thinking that one batch would fill one fruit roll-up sheet. Umm... more like one batch will fill three sheets.

Also, I had a terrible time getting it off the sheets. Maybe I didn't oil them enough, or maybe it's just my bad luck. I'm going to dry the next batch today, and see if parchment paper cut to fit the leather sheet might not be the answer for being able to peel them off. Because as it was, I had to soak a lot of the first batch off the plastic and it was wasted. Not my cup of tea.

Mary Bell's Pumpkin Leather

2 C. Pumpkin Puree
1 C. evaporated milk
2 C. Applesauce
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. Dried Shredded Coconut
1 t. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 t. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 t. Ground Allspice
2 T. finely chopped raisins

Combine all these and spread on an oiled fruit leather sheet and dehydrate for 8-20 hours.

I didn't have allspice, but figured that it was a pumpkin pie spice flavor she was going for, so I added ginger and cloves. I also didn't bother with the chopped raisins, since finely chopping raisins seems annoying, and I don't really like them.

This leather (what I could get off the sheets anyway) turned out really great. It's very much like pumpkin pie, though slightly sweeter. It's passed a couple taste tests from Ben and our friend Ken as well, though they are definately not my toughest critics. I'm planning to try it out on my family in MI next time I go home, and I'll let you know the results of that wider taste test involving children. :D

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I am going tohave to try this! My oldest loves pumpkin pie...to the point that it is what she wants instead of cake for her b-days! :)

Bonnie Story said...

What a great way to use pumpkin! This would make a great energy snack while out walking or hiking. Do post about whether the parchment helps with the removal. Having it stick like that could be a total deal-breaker.

Bethany said...

Ladies, it looks like the parchment paper is going to work perfectly. It's not all the way dehydrated yet, but it's looking good so far.

Related Posts with Thumbnails