Monday, April 06, 2009

A Wild Sort of Friday Night

Ben has been gone since Wednesday night. He finally got home last night, and I was super glad to see him! He very rarely has to have business trips over the weekend, but I absolutely hate it when he does.

Anyway, on Friday evening, I finally got around to a project that I've been meaning to get done for a while now. I've been wanting some small cloths to have around in place of kleenex and paper towel, and I'd saved some scraps of flannel just for that. The lighter ones are made to be handkerchiefs and the darker ones in the back are a little more than twice as big to use in place of paper towels. The scraps of flannel when a long way. The light color was just what was left after I trimmed it for the backing of the quilt I made my brother in law for Christmas. And the darker was also leftover from that quilt project, but there was much more of it because I'd cut it wrong and had to buy more.

Anyway, it was a relatively quick project, though it did take a bit longer than I'd expected. I used two methods to make these. For the smaller ones, I just used the serger to cut the pieces as I finished them, guessing as the size and shape, and for the larger ones, I tore the fabric into the correctly sized pieces and then ran them through the serger in a chain piecing style, which means you don't stop and cut the threads between each piece, you just cut them all apart at the end. So I did that four times, once for each side. The first method was faster, but if you care at all about getting them the same shape and size and staying on grain at all, the second is the way to go.

This week, I'm hosting the homemakers' club for dessert on Wed afternoon, so I'm going to be doing a lot of detail cleaning and baking before then. In general ladies who host serve a choice of two desserts at these monthly events, and I'm thinking chocolate cake with buttercream icing, and apple cake in a bundt ring. With coffee and pink lemonade and cherry kool-aid to drink. And maybe some jelly beans or cookies set out as well. What do you all think? Is that enough variety without getting carried away?

I am worried about not having a railing on the porch steps. We've been putting it off, because we don't really need one, but this group is lots of elderly ladies, some who use canes, so I absolutely have to have one. We went to Home Depot last night to buy one of the wrought iron kind that you just bolt to the steps, but they didn't have them in stock, you have to special order them. We're going to try the larger store a bit farther away, and I hope they have them, because if they don't, I'm going to have to bolt a two by four to a couple of those green fence posts pounded into the ground... and I'm afraid that'll just be in bad taste. :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Blue Castle said...

I love your pretty rags. :) I don't have a serger, and I'm lazy, so I just cut mine from fabric and leave the edges raw. They're not pretty.

Bethany said...

Thanks.

You could use pinking shears, then they'd be even cuter and way pretty. And a pair of pinking shears is way cheaper than a serger. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails