Friday, May 22, 2009

I've Got Chills! They're Multiplyin'!

Okay, so, I may have gotten a touch of sunstroke yesterday. Seriously, how can I be so wimpy? I was only outside for a few hours in the morning. Anyway, I'm sure the fact that I missed a big patch on my shoulders when I put on my sunblock did not help. Ouch.

I tilled up the section for the tomatoes and peppers and I also prepared a bed by the deck for my loofa. I got the loofa planted and used the push mower to trim here and there and do the edges around the shrubs and fences. I also planted the tiny little chamomile seedlings, but I have to admit, I don't have great hope for them.

That leaves the fifty or so tomato and pepper seedlings that I have left to get into the ground. But since their section is all fluffed up and prepared, that shouldn't take too long to do this morning. I'm hoping to be back in before ten or so, when it gets hotter.

We're also growing some Sunberries this year, and I'm pretty interested to find out what they taste like. The seed catalog raved, but I have my doubts that an annual berry can have all that much going for it. And other reviews I've read pretty much say that it being a fast growing berry that tastes okay when you add sugar to it is about all it's got going for it. I've got some started as seedlings, but they sprouted so much later, they're still small, and I don't know if they've hardened off as well as the tomatoes. But I'm going to plant them anyway and start some seeds directly in the garden as well.

I'm excited to finally get all those little sprouts out of my sewing room. Fighting the damping off and keeping them alive was getting kind of annoying. I'm the worst when it comes to house plants. Having them outside in the dirt where they're not completely dependent on me will probably really increase their odds of survival.

I wonder if it's possible to force a black thumb to turn green? Like forcing a bulb or something.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I hate it that sunburn makes me feel sick, too. I seem to be getting more sensitive to the sun every year and the heat makes me feel awful.

Thanks for sharing your gardening activities!

Bethany said...

Mrs. Mordecai, I'm glad I'm not the only one who just can't seem to take the sun. I wouldn't want to just be wimpy or something. I guess it's normal for some of us.

Livia Indica said...

Wow, you really are into independent and green living; very cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails