Thursday, May 21, 2009

A more interesting life?

So, I was thinking this morning that I'd better start doing some more interesting things, or my blog is going to suffer.

It's not that I've been doing nothing, but I haven't really been doing anything worth taking pictures of.

On Tuesday I borrowed the neighbors' mower and mowed the whole lawn. It had gotten away from us while we were gone, so I really needed to do it all at once, which meant begging the rider. But I absolutely can't stand borrowing, so that's the last time. It'll be back to the pusher rotation starting today or tomorrow. We'd like to buy a rider ourselves, but they're so expensive, and I don't really know enough about them to confidently buy one used. I don't understand how people can ever get started with animals and farming when all the fencing and equipment costs so much! It can be frustrating.

I was out for about four hours on Tuesday, and got a bit sunburned, even though I did have sunblock and my sun hat on. I even took a lunch break, but all that sun took it out of me a bit, so yesterday I did more indoor things. I scrubbed the kitchen, because we've been spotting ants here and there, and bugs in my kitchen is traumatic for me, so I wanted to get rid of any crumbs that might be drawing them. I did go out and hoe in the garden and turn the compost pile, but I didn't stay out for long. I guess I'll have to buy a pitchfork for turning the compost. The shovel just didn't cut it, and I ended up moving most of it by hand. My pretty pink John Deere gardening gloves that my Mother-in-Law bought me are worse for the wear. Gardening gloves only seem to stay pretty as long as you don't use them.

Today, I'm going to get a section of the garden all ready and plant the tomatoes and the peppers. I'm also hoping to put something in place at the end of the deck for the loofa to climb and to get them in the ground as well.

After all that ambitious planting, I'm hoping to catch up on the four episodes of Lost that I'm behind and knit. I'm totally in a couch and knitting mood, but I'm saving it for later to motivate me to do the planting and such that I have to do.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Worknprogress said...

Hi! I hope your sunburn heals quickly! Just a note about the riding mowers--check your local (well...as local as can be) Sears. Especially in the Fall. We weren't really in the market for a rider, but my hubbie found one at Sears for a scream. Because two people had tried it and returned it because they didn't like it, we got it "on clearance" for 1K off--and nothing was wrong with it other than it had been used a few times. That made it really hard to resist, even though we only had 17,000 sq ft to mow.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

We've got ants in our kitchen, too, because Red Chief left the back door open. Sweeping was the last thing I wanted to do last night, but I had to because of the ants. I think I'm in denial that I have to sweep every day--Red Chief makes such messes.

Bonnie Story said...

Hey now, your blog is NOT boring! I hate borrowing too, but I would seriously look into some trading for pies, etc. That's not borrowing, it's trading! Enjoy your holiday weekend!! Bonnie

Bethany said...

Oh, my sunburn was doing fine and healing well, until yesterday, I missed a big patch on my shoulders with the spray sunblock and ended up with another worse one... oh well, it'll heal. I don't think it's so bad it'll even peel. There's a certain learning curve when it comes to spring and summer and sunblock, I guess. Thanks for the tip about the lawn mower!

I'm thinking I'm going to have to start sweeping every single day too. Uck. I don't really like sweeping. But I don't even have your excuse, it's because of the messes I make!

I understand what you're saying about trading, but whenever I bring food over there, they look at like a bother or make a big deal about not having to do that. I'm not sure if they're just being nice or they just don't need it. She's a bit of a food hoarder and has a few freezers full (no exaggeration) of store bought pies and tarts and things like that. So even though I think like you, I'm pretty sure they don't really. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails