Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Seedlings

My seedlings are still all hobbling along. I wouldn't say they are triving, but a lot of them are still alive, so that's a pretty good track record for me. Next year, I'm definately going to have a better set up. I'd like to have a long kind of grow light as well, but they were sold out at both the stores I checked, so that'll go on the list for next spring.

I'd be glad if my tomatoes would learn to be real, grown-up tomatoes. I'm of the opinion that what they really need is to go in the ground soon. I've repotted some of them into bigger containers, and may do a few more this week. But what I'd really like is to get them hardened off next week and planted. Plants under my care do so much better when they're in the ground. If it's in a pot, or in the house, it's chances aren't good with me.

The experimental loofas are thriving though. I can't wait to get them outside, so they can really stretch out and start climbing. I don't know if our season will be long enough for them, but I think it will be, and we should get some loofa sponges this fall.
It's a cold windy wet day today, so no gardening will be taking place at my house. I'm looking forward to a time sometime soon when it'll hold off raining for at least four or five days, and then I can work up more of the garden plot, and get all this outside. Then the weather is welcome to go back to it's schedule of raining every other or every third day.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

They look great! :) I look forward to hearing about your loofa experiment...I would like to try that.

Melissa ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 said...

I'm growing loofa for the first time too. I'm with you ~ can't wait to get it all in the ground. I found the shop lights at Walmart and they even had grow bulbs too. A light plus 2 bulbs was just a little over $22 here.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I've always wanted to grow those sponges, but we don't have the space in our garden this year. Maybe next year! I hope you'll share on your blog if they turn out.

Mary said...

My tomatoes are growing good but something is eating them before they even get into the garden. It is already time to get them in. Tomatoes sometimes grow much faster after being put into the garden.
Hope your loofah does great!!

Alison said...

okay. I seriously never even thought about where loofa comes from. I am astounded, really. That's amazing. You can open your own bath and body works now!

Bethany said...

Jennifer, I'll be sure to post along the way as they grow.

Melissa, I'll have to check out Walmart. I tried Rural King and Home Depot, and they were already all gone for the season. It's a bit late to buy one now, but maybe I'll get a deal.


Mrs Mordecai, I don't know if they take up a lot of space, but you have to trellis them, because they want to climb. I'll let you know after I've seen them all grown up how they look.

Mary, I think so too! That's why I want to get them out there soon, even though they're still little. I want the to grow up fast!

Ali, I never really thought about it either, but read about them last fall on someone's blog, and just had to try growing them this year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails