Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Canning Jars

I'd like to think that I wouldn't actually collect canning jars if I didn't can with them. I'd prefer to consider myself the kind of person who wouldn't take up so much space in her home with things that aren't completely useful to her. But sometimes I wonder about that, when I realize how much I enjoy just looking at the things.
This is my new favorite jar. I love the star! I had a quart jar with the star on it, but last summer when I put it into the boiling water to sanitize it, the bottom cracked right off, all the way around. I hated to throw it away, but I definately am not the sort of person who would keep broken jars just because of the design on them. Not sharp broken glass, anyway. (There's a whole collection of broken pottery and glass that I found in the field growing up that would contradict me, but that's all smooth and dull.)

This jar is a pint, and it's got that awesome star on it, and it's my new favorite jar. I'll have to can something special in it.

So, maybe you're not like me, and you're actually normal, and you don't have favorite canning jars. You still need to know how many jars you'll want to have around for the canning season that's fast approaching. Here's an article I wrote about stocking up on canning jars, and knowing what jars you'll need for what food you're planning to can. Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I love canning jars too. I don't have a ton, but I do have some that I love. I don't even can. :) I use them for other things, though.

Worknprogress said...

See, you aren't the only closet canning jar geek. There are a few of us lurking about. :o) Okay, well, 3 atleast. ;O)

Like you, canning jars are the tops with me. They're so functional...serving dishes/glasses, storage (food or objects) which in turn makes them nice bookends or paperweights, flower vases, pen/pencil holders, etc. I have a gallon size "Ball" jar with spoget(sp?) that i make iced tea in.

What else is actually that multitasking? If my hubbie didn't actually care, i think i would have just registered for canning jars for our wedding gifts. :o) LoL

Love your Mason Star Jar. I have one just like it, except it's pink.

Bonnie Story said...

I remember some gorgeous light aqua blue narrow-necks that my Mom had. I'm really excited about canning this year. Pictures of the vintage glass collection would be great sometime! I think it sounds beautiful. I keep a quart jar on my bedside table for water at night - perfecto.

Blue Castle said...

That's a cute jar! I'm trying to remember, but I think I have one like that somewhere. My favorite is a quart jar that says "Atlas Wide Shoulders" on it. It's my favorite drinking jar during the summer when I'm trying to make sure I drink enough water. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails