Friday, June 05, 2009

Homemaking Inspiration

I've gotten into the habit of reading the Little House books when I'm not feeling well. So last week, when my neck hurt and I was under strict husband's orders not to move from the heating pad, I pulled out Little House in the Big Woods and started the series over again. (Last year, I read the series backwards, just for the novelty of seeing Laura get younger instead of older.)

Anyway, I love these books. I love them so much, it hurts. I even like Farmer Boy. I know a lot of people don't like that one, but I really enjoy it and its look at the seasons on a farm. Though a person could develop an eating disorder just reading that one.

I read them when I was young, and I did enjoy them at the time, but re-reading them now, as an adult, and a homemaker, they have much more relevance for me. I can't be the only homemaker/homesteader type who thinks to herself, "What would Ma Ingalls do?" Wash on Monday, that's what she'd do! And so I do.

She's an excellent example of how good homemakers must never "eat the bread of idleness," and inspiration for me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I'm rereading the Little House books, too. Farmer Boy is one of my favorites, and The Long Winter. They really make you feel grateful for what you have.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

My daughter has them upstairs...you have inspired me to get them out and read them again. It has been so long since I read them, I can't remember any of the titles! They apparently weren't one of my favs back them...bet they will be now though! :) And maybe I'll learn something...like laundry on Monday...instead of letting it get out of hand and being overwhelmed by Mount Laundry! LOL :) Thanks Bethany!

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I just went and got them out...they are the ones my sister and I had as kids. My Mom wrote our names inside the front covers. :)

Alison said...

someday I want to buy the whole set of those books. I love them so much, I bet I can find them for a good price on Ebay.

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Awww crap Bethany...does reading these books count toward actual homemaking in some way? Please say it does! I sat down and read The Little House in the Big Woods this afternoon and now I'm half way through Little House on the Prairie (Hooray for Jack! He made it!), getting ready to go hit the tub and read the rest of it. Maybe I was overdue for some inspiration and needed a big dose...I have been a little blah and off schedule lately. :)

Melonie said...

I'm with Mrs. Mordecai - Farmer Boy's my fave too, and The Long Winter is a close 2nd. I actually don't care for The First Four Years because of the debt they kept going into.... ever since I was a kid I just expected "more" of Almanzo than that.

I finally realized recently that I started out calling my hubby Manly because he's the "manly type"... but it never clicked in my head the Almanzo/Manly gig LOL Funny stuff.

Bethany said...

Mrs, you're right about that! Almost anyone is rich in comparison to the Long Winter.

Jennifer, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'd absolutely love to hear what you think when you've been able to finish them. They really make you want to get raring to go, don't they? I'm always so motivated when I read them.

Ali, I got my set at a used book store in AZ before we left, when I cleaned out the bookshelves and traded a bunch in for credit. The Little House books were what I bought with my credit, and were definately worth trading all those other books to get. Amazon might be a good place to check too. Their used book prices aren't too bad.

Melonie, I kept thinking the same thing, but I also thought that it reads like a "all things that can ever go wrong in farming" manual. Well, I guess all the books do, especially Plum Creek and First Four Years. When I think of what it would be like to start a marriage with four years like that! I feel so bad for them.

Blue Castle said...

When I was a kid, I used to read those books and then I'd pray that God would somehow take me back in time so I could be a pioneer girl. He never answered that prayer, despite my begging. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails