Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Wanna tour all my garden beds and see what's growing? Okay, let's go!
Here is the herb garden that's off the back patio. The tall stalk-y things are onions. I've honestly never seen onion flowers before, and I didn't know if I should cut them off or not, so I just left them to grow.

A nice looking basil, if I do say so myself. I'm going to start harvesting this to dry or make pesto soon.


Lemon balm that I planted in a pot that is buried in the ground. That's supposed to keep it from spreading and taking over. There's mint planted the same way opposite it.


Here's a loofa plant. I'm not sure if these actually will do anything. I'm sure it doesn't help that the grass grew back in around them. I'll have to make a lasagna bed there for next year and try again.


Here's the chicken yard cutting garden. The Japanese beetles are loving these zinnias and cosmos, so they're looking pretty ragged and chewed up up close, but it keeps them off the blueberries and corn, so I'm okay with it, I suppose.


Here's one of the squash from the volunteer plants in that bed. How can you tell when white squash is ripe?


Here are all those volunteer squashes. There's even a couple of sunflowers that came up on their own as well.



I guess that squash got a pretty big headstart, since they're ripening already. I'm thinking dried pumpkin would be fun to try.


Here's the new patch we put in this summer. This is green dent corn. We're hoping it'll feed the chickens some through the winter. Plus I really want to try making green tortillas.



I planted sunflowers in the other half of that patch. I've got enough seeds left for a few more rows too, that I'd like to get in this week. The sunflower heads are great for the chickens through the winter, because I can hang up the whole head in their yard, and they can peck the seeds out. It gives them extra feed, and keeps them from getting too restless when there's no grass or bugs to peck.


Here's the row of potato plants. I've been mounding them, and they're about four feet high, so I think I'll let them go now. I could probably bury them some more, but I ran out of straw, and can't really see spending the money to get more unless I know for sure that it'll work.




I planted these onions just by scattering the sets on the ground and burying them a few inches deep with straw. They would have done better if I'd taken the time to turn them all right side up.


This is the section I just finished mulching with the grass clippings. So far I have six King of the North, four Hot Portugal, three Bullnose, and one California Wonder surviving from the peppers.


There are two Sunberry plants still alive as well. I planted four, but they were tiny little things when I put them out, so I'm glad two made it.



This is the entire tomato/pepper area. Half is mulched with straw, and the other half is mulched with grass clippings. I think I prefer the grass clippings, but I'll have to see how each holds up all season. I have about 18 out of 24 Opalka tomatoes that are still alive, and six Sweet 100's. The little Sweet 100's are setting tomatoes, and have about five or so on each plant so far. My plants always seem to grow so slowly! I did fertilize them all this year with an organic tomato fertilizer.

Yes, that's my sweet corn dying a slow, sad, choking death over there on the left in that encroaching grass. Yes, the whole patch looks like that. No, I'm not proud of myself. Yes, I do have a plan that involves making Ben hoe and mulching with old chicken litter. No, I don't really thing it'll work.
Look, Baby Birdhouse Gourd! Isn't it so cute!?

Here's a complete failure. This was a honeydew, but it just up and died on me. I don't know why. It didn't leave a suicide note or anything. The other honeydew, which was in a whole different section did the same thing. I sure as heck hope it's not contagious.


This is a little Lady Godiva Squash. We're growing them for the seeds this year. They make hulless seeds, which I suppose is why they're named Lady Godiva, since they're naked seeds.


The Lady Godiva are growing really well, and putting out lots of squashes. I'm hoping they can keep it up, and then we can have lots of seeds for roasting this fall!

The carrots seem to be doing okay in the little raised bed. I'm really impatient to pull them, but it's not nearly time yet, so I try to just stay away.

The butternut aren't growing nearly as quickly as the Lady Godiva are, but they seem to be doing alright. The empty hill is where the dead honeydew were, and just of to the left of the camera frame, there's a hill of cumcumbers that are starting to vine out onto the straw as well.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Mary said...

Lots of luck with the Lemon Balm!! He he I even had it come up on the other side of my house. It is really voracious!!

Julie said...

very nice!

Anonymous said...

Very nice garden! Sorry about your honeydew melons.

Whit

Bethany said...

Thank you ladies, I hope it'll all keep living!

"Kreative Karma" said...

Thanks for sharing your blog on Facebook, I have been sitting here reading it for an hour or more. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails