Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Kumihimo Braiding

Kumihimo braiding is a Japanese style of braiding that uses lots of different strands to make different kinds of cords. I have this foam disc that makes it easy to do, and was a lot more affordable than a maru dai.

Anyway, the only use I can ever come up with for my braids is friendship bracelets. And since there's not a lot of call for those now that I'm not in sixth grade anymore, I don't get to use it much. But little brother Adam requested a new bracelet in blue and black for his wrist, so I got to break out the old kumihimo disc. He's a friendship bracelet kind of guy. He's been wearing one I made on his ankle for about two years now.




There are lots of fun how-to videos on youtube, if you search kumihimo and a basic braid can be made on a piece of cardboard with a hole in the middle and slits around the outside of it, to get the feel of how it works.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Adam J. said...

OVER 2 YEARS! BOO YA!

Mary said...

You could use those little braids as I-cord in knitting projects!! The bracelet looks great!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails