Sunday, July 05, 2009

A Sunday Update

Things here at Cloverfield (I still need a better name than that for the place) are going well. I'm very glad for the cooler weather this past week, but it's stalled the tomatoes and peppers.

I had a realization as I mowed the lawn last week. It doesn't make much sense for us to pay for straw, when the grass clippings make great mulch. They mat right down and make a really good weed barrier. So, after I finished mowing, I started raking, and I raked up enough clippings to remulch the forsythia, the blueberries, the cherry trees, the for baby saplings, and the rose of sharon. And that was only one side of the front yard, so there's lots of mulching potential with the grass clippings, if I'm willing to rake them all up. I guess I should be raking them anyway, since the bigger piles kill the grass, but I just have this deep hatred of grass, since it keeps invading my garden. And even though I know I shouldn't, I secretly want it all to die, so then I can plow under the yard and plant wheat.

We had a great Fourth of July, with our Independence Day traditions of ribs, baked beans, and a showing of 1776. I even thawed out the last of the 20 quarts of apple pie filling that I put in the freezer last September, and made an apple pie. I've been resisting using it for a couple of months, when I realized it was the last, but I figured that July 4th is enough of a special occasion, and it's not like I could keep it forever. I'm going to make a lot more pie filling and lots and lots more dried apples this year. The frozen pie filling is really convenient, but the dried apples make good pie, and are easier to keep.

Speaking of drying things, I ordered my dehydrator today. Woooooooo! I got a bunch of AC articles published last week, and that combined with the gardening/preserving/kitchenware envelope was enough to put me over the top. I can't wait till it gets here. I picked the Excalibur 9 tray one without the timer. I think it'll be so great and will last me a really long time. It's a totally wooooooo-hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! kind of day since I'm getting my nice dehydrator this week.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

A yard full of wheat instead of grass would be too cool!! :) Congrats on the dehydrator. I bought one at the wal-mart and haven't used it yet. I see that happening in the not-so-distant future though.

Bethany said...

I know, right?
It'd be way better to have wheat than grass... I mean, what good is grass, anyway? :D

Marion said...

I borrowed my in-laws dehydrator to dry the last of the cherries from my tree (I totally need to write a blog about the terrors of owning a cherry tree) and I think I may need one of my own now. What method do you use to make pie from the dried apples? Please post your recipe and instructions. I am intrigued!

Related Posts with Thumbnails