Wednesday, August 05, 2009

But it's a Self-Righteous sort of Sore

I have been exhausting myself with the yard/garden work this week. I didn't sleep very well last week, so I figured that if I worked extra hard outside, I'd be too tired to sleep poorly. It's working so far, and I'm getting quite a lot done.

Plus, I had the brillant idea to let the lawn get really long before I mowed it last time, so we'd get lots and lots of mulch to rake up. Well, it worked, but now I've got rake and pick up all that two acres worth of grass mulch! I'm grateful for all the grass clippings though, because they've really been helping me with starting the new lasagna beds.

I've pretty much decided that anywhere it's hard to mow and gets long and messy, I'm going to add a new lasagna garden bed. Eventually, that'll include all around the house, under the fences at the end of the driveway, all around the back deck, and around the clothesline. For now, I've done the one around the forsythia that I posted on Monday, and one along the back of the house/side of the deck. That one is eventually going to be very big, encompassing the brick lined herb bed and maybe stretching around the deck, in one big garden bed blob. But for now I started with the corner and worked my way out.

After raking and picking up grass clipping piles by hand, I've convinced myself that I definately need a grass catcher for the lawn mower! I hope Ben did enough raking this past weekend to come to the same conclusion. Though he did mention what a good workout it is. I can't argue, but it's so time consuming! I could be weeding or reading! hehehe.

Oh, the title of this post! Do you all ever get that glowing kind of self-righteous feeling when you work really hard? Like being prideful of the aches? I do that all the time. I have a suspicion that that's why people garden. Or workout. Or maybe I'm so adverse to physical activity that it's just me, and other people actually enjoy the activity, not the sanctimonious high afterward?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I agree! The work's no fun, but I do enjoy the feeling I get afterward.

Related Posts with Thumbnails