Monday, August 03, 2009

I've made my bed....


Now, what will I plant in it?

I couldn't get the lawn mower betweent the forsythia bushes anymore without messing up their mulch everytime, now that we have the nice big riding mower. So I decided that instead of always having to come back and re-mulch and neaten it all back up, I'd make the entire area around and between them into a flower bed.
So this morning I put together the start of a lasagna bed in the area. I started by soaking piles of newspaper and paper bags in the wheelbarrow, then laid them all out right on the grass, in the general shape I was going for. I laid the paper about 10-20 pages thick, on average. Mostly I just used the sections, either folded or opened out and doubled.
I piled grass clippings on top of the papers, all around. I guess I'll add manure and leaves when I get some, but for now, I have so many grass clippings, I could mulch the entire front yard, so I piled them on.
I don't really know what I'll plant here. I mostly just wanted to keep it neater, and not have to try to get between with the mower anymore. I thought that some daffodils would be nice in this area, since the forsythia bloom around the same time, and it would make a pretty little spring picture, but the rest of the year should have something blooming there too, I suppose. But it's got to be something that can handle being ignored, since I'm terrible at tending flowers. And probably something short, since the bushes are still very small, and I'd like to keep this area neater looking than my jungle-y zinnias turned out. Any thoughts?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Alison said...

Maybe just a wildflower mix? That's something that wouldn't require much maintenance and would still be pretty.

Marion said...

A rose could be nice. They are pretty easy to start, and take next to no work once they are settled. You can keep them small or let them get large. Also, a Chrysanthemum would be super easy and give you fall color.

Adam J. said...

I'm gonna get your hamster fat.

Alison said...

I with you, Adam. I fed that Hamster so much food today, what a pig.

Bethany said...

Thanks for the suggestions! Ali, wildflowers would be nice, and would probably bloom all summer. I'd probably buy a few specific ones so I could make sure that none are the really tall kind.

Marion, I have a mini rose that needs a place, but I thought it would get too shady in there eventually. That would be a while down the road though. Mum's are a great idea!

You guys, isn't that hamster cute? I like it best when he drinks and then cleans his ears. It's so cute when animals clean their ears!

Marion said...

Mini Roses do not stay mini, just for your information :) We have three that the previous people planted in our yard and two of them are as large as my normal roses, they just have tiny flowers. The third stayes smaller, only about a foot to a foot and a half tall.

Bethany said...

Marion, I didn't know that! I thought they stayed small. I'll have to take that into account when I decide where to put it. Poor thing's getting eaten by a dang rabbit, so I better find it a home and give it a fence soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails