Monday, August 10, 2009

Root Beer Tasting

Ben and I love to have taste tests. When we lived in AZ, we once had a blind taste test to decide the best root beer that our local grocery store carried. I think that one was mainly so I could prove that I could tell the difference among them by smell. I can be a know-it-all sometimes. As if you all haven't noticed! :)

Well, the farm stand down the road has about a million different kinds of root beer to choose from, so we had another root beer tasting. This time we didn't bother to set it up to be a blind test, since we didn't really have any vested interest in any of these unknown-to-us brands.

Of course, any tasting needs high class palate cleansers.

The winner! Sioux City had the most genuine "root beer" flavor. Black Cow proved to be too sweet and fake tasting for Ben's taste, and Baumeister had a licorice/anise/mace hit that was way too much for me. The Abita was a very close second, but we both agreed that it was a bit too sharp and hard flavored. We take our root beer seriously around here.
-----------------------------------
Now that I've given a peek into the incredible weirdness of our household, here's an update on things around here:
I got a load of manure delivered yesterday. I was thrilled. I can't wait to amend things with it. Well, soil, I guess, I can't think what else I'd amend.
I'd like to do some knitting today, there's some babies on the way that need warm things. But my hands and wrists have been in an awful lot of pain lately. That's from my thyroid disorder, but I don't know how to treat it other than painkillers, which I try to avoid. It's very frustrating, because my hands will cramp and spasm, so if anyone has suggestions on that one, I'd be happy to try them.
I made cupcakes in trade for the guy who delivered my manure for me yesterday (he got paid by the place that had it to take it away, so it was a pretty good deal for him, since then he had a place to dump it), and there's a few left. I tried to get Ben to take them to work, but he didn't want to. Oh well, guess I'll just have to eat one. Too bad.
The sunberry plants have grown so much in the week since I posted the picture. I'll have to take another, I think they're half as big again in just a week. I do hope we like eating them, because we'll get plenty.
There are lots of tomatoes ready to ripen and tons of hot portugal peppers on the plants. I'm glad to see that attempt going well. And the potatoes are almost ready to dig!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

The rootbeer tasting sounds fun! :) And I am glad you got your poo...I know you were looking forward to it! Sorry to hear about your hands and wrists. :( I don't have any advice for it, other than maybe a warm epsom salt soak?

BlueCastle said...

Oh yum. :) You guys sounds so fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails