Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Sunberry Plants




This year we're growing a new plant for our garden. We bought these Sunberry seeds from Seed Savers Exchange. I started them inside in the spring along with the peppers and tomatoes. I had started four of them, but the were much later to germinate than the others, and since I was being impatient, I put them out at the same time. Two of the four survived, which impresses me actually, because all six of the California Wonder pepper plants died a sad and lingering death. No, I don't torture plants intentionally, it just happens.

Anyway, the sunberries are doing particularly well with the hotter temperatures, and the fact that I weeded those beds, and mulched them well. They might also be responding to the Plant-Tone organic tomato fertilizer that I put on them.

I have my doubts about fruit from an annual plant, but the verdict so far is that they do grow well, they will produce a TON of berries the same summer they're planted, and they're actually very pretty plants. As for taste, I'll be sure to post again when they ripen, so you all can see them, and I'll report on whether we actually like to eat them or not.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

I am looking forward to hearing how the sunberries are! I may have to try those.

Adam J. said...

i like the sun....and i like berries....don't see what can go wrong :-)

Bonnie Story said...

Hi! There are some of those in the co-op garden where I'm participating fervently. We call them "Ground Cherries", they are a close relative of the tomatillo!! Yes, they will do very well for you and what a wonderful snackin' food they are. The fruit arrives wrapped in a paper husk. Perfect for adding to a lunch bag or pocket! Yummy. They will aggressively re-seed all over. You will like them so much it's not really a problem but they will be baaaaack!!! I really enjoy your hamster. Does he or she have a name??

Bethany said...

Jennifer, I hope they're good. I've read some greatly varying things about them. But it'll be great if they are good, since they're very prolific.

Adam,
I'll share if you come visit me.

Bonnie,
I'm not sure if that's the same thing, so far they don't seem to have a husk. But we'll see when they ripen, right?

Do you think they'll reseed even if I harvest all the berries? Or do they seed differently? Or will it just be that hard to make sure I get them all? I curious about that.

I was just saying to Adam (he's my little bother, in case I haven't made that clear) that we should name that funny little hamster. He says Bottomless Pit. But that's not a very cute name. I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl. Maybe we should have a naming contest!

Related Posts with Thumbnails