Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Monday

Wow, it's been a strange week. And since I'm kind of OCD and like to post on my blog everyday, even when I don't post everyday, I'm just going to post three times today and tell you all about it.

On Monday, I had to drive my elderly neighbor to the dr, in order for her to get her last round of some shots. Now, I've written before about how driving pretty much scares the pants off me, and I know I've documented numerous attempts at learning to be a better driver and be less scared and more confident.

Recently, I've noticed an odd change. I'm still pretty intimidated by driving, but I'm not downright/panic attack/terrified to do it. I think part of that change may have come from the fact that I've spent so many hours this summer driving the lawn mower around and around the yard. Don't laugh! I think it really helped me be more confident in the basic operation of a vehicle.

Anyway, I drive more often and practice with more confidence, but it's still not at all something I'd say I enjoy, or one of the skills that I'd list high on my resume. But I know that when the neighbor, who is generally kind and who takes care of our chickens for us everytime we're away, calls to ask if I could please take her mother, who is such a special woman and who really likes me, to the dr for a last round of shots so she'll be able to travel to Ohio to visit the grave of her son, who was a Green Beret and died in Viet Nam, without as much pain next week.... well, I know what God wants me to say and do in that situation.

So, I did it. We got loaded into her car and took off for the hospital, which is about twenty miles away. I which I could say that I drove along the highway with the utmost confidence and calm. I did do fine on the way there, but once I was in the waiting room (for 3 hours!) I started to panic about driving back home. See, the exit with the hospital is also a very busy one with a couple of big truck stops, so there seem to be semitrucks everywhere and all around. It's very intimidating, having all those big trucks racing by and trying to find a space among them.

In the end, I chickened out a bit and ended up taking the country roads home instead of getting on the highway with all the trucks. It was a much more peaceful and beautiful drive, and it was very good to learn a different route, since my doctor's office is in the same town.

I know that avoiding the highway all the time isn't really the best way to become a confident driver, but until I have more confidence with it, I'll stick to the less busy, less truck stop-y, exits.

So, Monday was an exhausting day of triumph, that I'm so glad to have gotten over with!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Good for you! It took me a long time to get comfortable driving and I still prefer back roads over big ones.

Bonnie Story said...

Great job B! I take country roads whenever I can and I think that's a great idea for you... freeways are awful! That's very kind of you to chauffeur your neighbor. A good chicken-sitter is hard to find!

Bethany said...

Thanks ladies! I knew I couldn't be the only person who doesn't like driving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails