Wednesday, October 21, 2009

God Bless the Ball Blue Book

I may have made a tactical error. Six bushels of apples is not really too much for us and all our friends and family that we share canned good. Six bushels of apples all the same week, on the other hand... that might have been a bit much.

I like to make applesauce in the slowcooker, since it's easier for me, and I'm much much less likely to burn it. This method does limit my output to about seven quarts a day, though. So I can't really go through the apples very quickly.

I'll have plenty of sauce canned by the end of the week, and I've been drying two or three dehydrator loads every day as well, so I went browsing in the Ball Book to find another apple product or two that we might want to have.

Juice, I think, will be the perfect thing. It will be a treat to have our own natural homemade apple juice around, it'll be just what we need for making a batch of wine, since that usually calls for a press or for un-pastuerized/preservative-free juice, AND it'll take care of one of these bushels of apples in one fell swoop! (well, two swoops, since one batch is 1/2 a bushel, but we're planning two batches.)

Yay, Ball Blue Book!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Captain's Wife - Jennifer said...

Hooray for the Blue book! :) I like doing the crock pot method for apple butter (I have 2 of them), but last year for Christmas I got a giant electric roasting pan....I think it would be fantastic for making a BIG batch of butter! That is, IF I ever get my hands on some apples!

Related Posts with Thumbnails