Thursday, October 08, 2009

An Odd Combination

The traveling we've been doing lately has resulted in a bit too much fast food, which is not too good for our health or our pocketbook. So, no more eating out. But also, no money or time for the grocery store this week.

My solution on Tuesday, since I didn't have time to thaw anything out after we got home on Monday evening, was to put together what I was afraid would be a fairly odd dinner: Oatmeal, Baked Apples, and a bit of Polish Sausage. It turned out to be one of the best dinners I've made in a really long time. I was very glad with the way everything tasted together, and it was warm and very filling.

My oven was still broken then, so I decided to bake the apples in a slowcooker. It worked so well! I used the recipe here, but used oats instead of dried fruit and didn't thicken the sauce. Also, my apples were on the small side, and about only a third of the filling was used. And 2 tbs of butter seemed a bit on the oily side. I think one would probably do it just fine.

(Ben says this picture is like one from a soap opera, where they obscure the love scenes with steam.... see the hot apple love?)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Bonnie Story said...

Wow, apples in the crock pot! What a great idea - steamy apple lovin' right here at home. I happen to have lots of apples on hand that need a good idea and you have just given me a great one, thanks!

Lidian said...

This sounds really good!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I love it! Red Chief would call it a "nice, cozy" dinner. And I would agree.

Related Posts with Thumbnails