Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ain't No Challah Back Girl

This is actually Thanksgiving prep, if you can believe I'm getting started this early! I told Ben I'd make stuffing this year, and the recipe from America's Test Kitchen that I want to use calls for a loaf of Challah bread. I figured I'd get a jump on things and make it up this week, cube it and put it in the freezer till Thanksgiving, which should help dry it out for making the stuffing.
I used the recipe for challah from Tammy's Recipes, which, as you can see, makes a massive amount of bread. I actually really enjoyed doing some bread by hand, since our every day eating bread is always made in the bread maker. My tendonitis didn't love it though, hence the bread maker for our every day bread.

Braiding the loaves was super fun as well. This dough is a real pleasure to work with, and was simple to stretch and braid.

The recipe makes two very large loaves of bread. It's a finely textured sort of bread with a yeasty slight sweet taste. Very good! Ben absolutely loved it, and is very glad that there was an extra loaf. I'm planning french toast for dinner with some of this, and the whole loaf is going to get cubed up and frozen this afternoon. The rest? I don't think it'll be a problem to find volunteers to eat it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Your bread looks amazing! Have you tried America's Test Kitchen French toast? It's the best, and they call for Challah too.

Brigette said...

It looks very tasty, Beth!

I was actually just thinking about you earlier. We had gotten some canned pumpkin bread at my cousin Stephanie's shower the other day and I wondered if you had heard of such a thing. You literally make and bake the bread in a pint canning jar! My aunt had other kinds as well. Would make a wonderful, homemade gift. Let me know if you'd like the recipe!

Melonie said...

This looks wonderful!!! I volunteer to help eat it. LOL I love the post title too, that really made me laugh.

Together We Save said...

That bread looks beautiful.

Bethany said...

Mrs Mordecai, I spent forty minutes looking for that issue yesterday! Why it's not on the shelf with the rest of them, I have no idea. But I just did the French toast my regular way and it turned out delicious anyway.

Brigette, I think I've heard of that before, but I've never seen it. If it's not too much trouble to get the recipe, I'd love it. Thanks!

Melonie, I'd love to share, but I doubt it'd be nearly as good after going all the way to Japan. It made me laugh too, which is why I do a lot of the things on my blog. :)

Together, welcome to my blog, glad you enjoyed it. I highly recommend the recipe, if you're looking for one to try!

BlueCastle said...

Your Challah is beautiful! I used to make that every year for Thanksgiving as my contribution to my in-law's feast. :) It's been awhile since I've made it, but mine never looked as lovely as yours. Is there a secret to how your braid turned out so amazing? :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails