No, I didn't remove asbestos laden insulation. Or explore an alien ship in my backyard. Or map the human genome.
I made soap!
So here's why all the safety gear:
Ben thinks I'm accident-prone. (I will never understand where he gets that idea!) So, the deal was that if I'm gonna work with lye and make soap, I have to suit up in all the safety stuff he deems necessary.
Everything worked out fine. Though those darn safety glasses fogged up a lot by the time I hit trace with the mixing. How exactly is it extra safe not to be abe to see?
I used the recipe here for soap made with Crisco. I used generic Aldi shortening that I had around that tasted so bad it wrecked frostings and cookies, so I retired it to cast iron seasoning only. It's a very simple beginning recipe with only three ingredients, so I wanted to use it for my first try, since it's the easiest soap there is. I'm planning to use it in the laundry soap instead of Fels Naptha. Next, I'll try some nice smelling soap for us to use.
I do think that my pot may be too wide, and so the liquid wasn't quite deep enough to keep the stick blender from whipping in a lot of air. I'm not sure if that'll be a big deal to the finished product or not.
My soap's all wrapped tight in an all towel in my orange juice carton mold saponifying away. On Monday I'll post some pics of the un-molding and cutting process and the finished soap. There was no way I was going to be able to take pictures while I was doing the soapmaking it's self for the first time.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Kayak grocery run
8 hours ago