Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Might I Suggest...

Say you'd like to
-eat healthier food
-save money on your grocery bill
-eat organically grown food
-eat home grown, or locally grown food
-have green vegetables in the winter time even if some Damn Bunny ate all your pea and bean plants last spring and you never did get enough to freeze or can....

Growing sprouts is the answer. Here are some of my favorite benefits:
-you only have to keep them alive for a week or so. That's about my limit with house plants, so it's perfect for me! :)
-they're super cheap. That regular sized salad spinner full of sprouts started out as 2 Tbs of mixed sprout seeds which cost about $.70 at my local health food store, though plain alfalfa sprouts woud only cost about $.30 for the same amount.
-though the seeds aren't locally produced, they take up much less space and processing and transportation than, say, a bag of salad would, since they're food in a fairly compact form.
-They're great on sandwiches, in salads, on wraps, or tacos, or just plain.

I sprouted these in a jar, which is plenty easy. The trick is remembering to rinse them at least twice a day so they won't get sour or moldy.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Those look perfect! I wish I knew where to buy seeds around here.

Worknprogress said...

Oh my goodness...we sprout sprouts on a fairly irregular basis around here (mostly for the little one's curiousity then feed them to the chickens.) We have screen toppers that fit onto canning jars, but trying to sprout just the right amount in a canning jar is frustrating.

Never though of using the salad spinner!! Good idea! Do you lay cheese cloth or anything down on the strainer so that the seeds don't fall through??

Bethany said...

I didn't actually sprout them in the salad spinner. I used a quart jar with the screw on screen lid. They're just in the salad spinner for the picture for their final rinse and spin before going in the fridge.

I put two tablspoons in the jar, though that did get a bit crowded. One and a half would probably be just right.

Mrs. Mordecai, I just ordered some from Amazon, a brocoli mix, because the brocoli can be pretty expensive and they were a great deal compared to at the health food store. I've also found them at the Amish run stores I've shopped at.

Melonie said...

This is going to sound insane - but do you remember how much your salad spinner was? I've been trying to find one here and I found an empty BOX for one yesterday at the BX in the Martha Stewart stuff - they wanted $25! Does that sound right? I didn't think they were that much - I figured it was paying for The Martha's name on it.

What do you think?

Bethany said...

Well, the one I have is OXO, it's the one recommended by Cook's Illustrated. It's $30 at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I had a $10 gift card and a $10 off coupon, so I only paid $10 for it.

So yeah, they're more expensive than you'd think.

Bonnie Story said...

Great! Sprouts are poised to become the "IT" food once again - those of us who remember the '70s saw that happen before. But seriously, if you are looking for super nutrition, versatility, great taste - sprouts are the way. For fun, check out http://www.sproutman.com for all the reasons why everybody should be eating sprouts daily, and how easy it is to get them into your routine. Great post, B!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails