Monday, January 04, 2010

No More Christmas Vacation

Well, my self-granted winter break is over now, and it's back to work. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and I'm wishing all my readers and friends and family a blessed and joyful year ahead!

I certainly took advantage of my vacation, and had all sorts of relaxing, eating candy canes while watching movies, playing with nieces and nephews, visiting with sisters and brothers, hanging out with my parents, tv marathons with Ben, going out to the movies, random crafting, junk food eating, zoo going, museum seeing, walking in the cold sunshine, going out with friends, spending time in prayer and at church, good book reading FUN!

I don't generally make resolutions for the New Year, since I (like Sister Mary Martha) think that if there's something to start, or something to change, it should just be done now, whenever now happens to be. But I do find myself making lots of plans at this time of year, since the holiday busy-ness is over, and winter is a slow time in the garden and with the outside chores, January and February are my times for reading, learning, planning, sewing, writing, etc. There are a few things I'm planning to learn/practice/accomplish in the next couple of months, that I hope to share here on my (slightly neglected) blog.

Coming Attractions:

  • Learn to make soap! This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, but I was intimidated by the lye. Well, it was more that everyone else I know seems to be, so I was hestitant to try something so many people thought was ridiculously dangerous. I've come to the conclusion that though it is dangerous to work with lye, it can be done with precaution and common sense without anyone getting killed. Something soapmakers have always known.
  • Get some sewing done! I have lots of fabric available for workout pants and t-shirts, plus a worn out pair of pants to cut up and use as a pattern. Nothing stopping me now but procrastination.
  • Use a planner to put in place and implement a cleaning schedule. This is so not my style, but I'm going to have to start using a planner/binder soon anyway, because I'm any officer in my HCE chapter starting this month, and my deep cleaning seems to get out of hand easily, especially during the summer months when I'm also very busy outside. Having a written schedule will work much better than the hit or miss approach of planning to clean the bathrooms every week, but not really doing it till they're dirty or company comes.
  • Finish knitting a sweater and a pair of socks for myself, and a pair of mittens for Ben. These are the bare minimum knitting goals, and I'm hoping to have them done in the next two weeks or so.
  • Learn more about writing articles for AC. I resist learning keyword density/SEO stuff, but I think I could really make a lot more money on Associated Content with just a small effort to try those things.

Those are a few of my winter goals which I'd like to get done before it gets busy in the garden again. I've got spots ready for lettuce this year, so I should get to start planting in Feb/March. Short (but so cold!) winters here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Melonie said...

I find my goalsetting and reassessment comes to a head this time of year too. :-) I don't like calling it resolutions though because I go through it quarterly (give or take). I agree - if something needs to be changed, just start then!

Soapmaking - I've had the same issue with it. I did enjoy doing melt and pour with glycerin blocks. It's a good way to get started and you can play with smaller molds, experiment with scents and add-ins like flowers, oats, etc without a big outlay of money or the safety issues. When Chatty was 2 we used to have soapmaking sessions. I'll warn you though, it is very easy to do and may well whet your appetite for "the real thing" even more. But it's also fun because it's FAST and easy and you get results so quickly.

Bethany said...

Quarterly seems to be the way my goalmaking/planning seems to go as well.

Thanks for the ideas about the melt and pour soap. Maybe I'll do a batch or two of that to practice a little, and then jump into the lye. Well, not literally, of course, but you know what I mean.

Related Posts with Thumbnails