Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gooey Butter Cake

I've been enjoying browsing around Chickens in the Road lately and yesterday I came across this post about Gooey Butter Cake.  And since I'm a St. Louis transplant and the very words "gooey butter cake" called out to me, I figured it would be a good time to try it out.
It had a very promising start, with a flour, sugar, butter crust.  I love crust.
And the batter was lovely, rich and very creamy.

Maybe the problem was that I over cooked it a bit.  But it was still plenty jiggly in the center when I took it out.  I was supposed to dust it with powdered sugar, but I forgot.  Could that have been the problem?
That crust did add a nice little texture though, and that was good.

I found out yesterday, I just don't really like gooey butter cake.  Maybe I did something wrong, but it's not a cake I'd cross the stree for.  I thought it had a very raw flour taste too it, and it was weird eating such a gooey cake, like eating something under-cooked.

It did have its good points.  It's super sweet, and I like that in a dessert, and like I said, the texture the crust adds is really good.  A sort of a contrasting crunch to all that sweet goo.

So maybe I won't make a good St. Louis-ian after all.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Neat, I never heard of a cake with a crust. I made something similar and absolutely delicious a few months back:

http://www.honeyandjam.com/2009/03/swedish-visiting-cake.html

Now I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to run to the kitchen right now and make it because it was so yummy but so bad for me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails