Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The robin nest in out flowering crabapple tree fell apart over the winter. I was disappointed because I'd really enjoyed seeing the robin family raise their families.

Then one day last week, I spied a handsome Mr. Robin building a cozy nest in a small hanging flower holder on the fence outside our back door. Yay, even more convenient baby bird watching.

Mama bird is sitting on her nest now. She wasn't there when I went past a bit ago, so I took the chance to sneak this photo.

Planting tally so far: 1 fruit cocktail tree, 6 elderberry bushes, and 4 lilac bushes. We healed in the four nut trees and the three pawpaw trees for now, since we're planning for them to go around our new shed when it's built.  I also measured out and marked the places for the 11 dwarf fruit trees for the orchard area.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Ooh, planting trees is so exciting! I want to plant a bunch in our yard but we have to figure out the sprinklers first.

Cute spot for a nest!

Worknprogress said...

Your robins remind me of The Secret Garden. :o)

Pray tell, what is a fruit cocktail tree??

Happy Easter (even though we have a little ways to go before it yet.)
Whit

Mishieru said...

Is that a real eggs? Sorry, haven't seen anything like that here in my country. The eggs remind me of Easter Sunday!

Bethany said...

Mrs. Mordecai, we probably should have set up sprinklers here, but I talked myself into believing that bucket hauling is a great fitness routine. I think they'll be doing it on The Biggest Loser soon.

Whit, Happy Easter to you as well. I'm really looking forward to it!
A fruit cocktail tree is one of those novelties that nurseries sell in the Sunday fliers, lol. It's one rootstock grafted with four different fruits, nectarines, peachs, plums and apricots. I put it in the middle of the front yard to wow people, hehehe.

Mishieru,
Yep, that's the inside of of the robins' nest. Don't they just have the prettiest color of eggs? That is a very Easter-like photo! Maybe I'll have to change the computer wallpaper to this photo in honor of Easter.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the babies once the eggs hatch. They're not nearly as pretty as the eggs are, lol.

APOORV SINGH BAGHEL said...

good work
these eggs look pretty and remind me of easter.

Alison said...

I'll see your robins and raise you parrots. Yes, parrots. There really are parrots nesting in my neighborhood.

http://georgemacumming.com/2010/04/04/april-4/

Related Posts with Thumbnails