Monday, June 28, 2010

Baby Surprise Jacket

Here is my latest finished knitting project. This is the Baby Surprise Jacket from The Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmerman. It was so fun to make!

The surprise, of course, is that it does some crazy ninja oragami and folds up from a knitted blob into a really adorable, practically seamless, reversible baby sweater.  There are buttonholes on both sides so the buttons can just be moved around as needed for boys or girls.

It's knit from Knitpicks Bare worsted wool, and the green is Cascade 220.

I'm thinking about picking up along the neck and knitting a hood. If I decide against the hood, I'll probably just do a couple of rows of garter stitch in green to finish the neck. Or just a simple crocheted border.

I haven't sewn up the seams yet. I want to show my mom before I sew it up, so she can see how it goes together.  This was fun and simple to make and might just be my go-to sweater pattern for baby gifts from now on.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Brigette said...

This is very cute Beth! I definitely like the idea of putting a hood on it, but here's what I found from my experience... Every single hood is made for a baby with a HUGE head! I realize you've gotta accomidate a lot of sizes, but we're talking ginormous! Most hoods don't have drawstrings anymore (choking hazzard I suppose) but I would have loved them.

Alison said...

Awww, that is very cute. I want one in my size!!

Bethany said...

Brigette, thanks for the advice about the hood. I think I'll add a drawstring, if I do a hood. I suppose people are smart enough to be safe, and I don't have to worry about lawsuits, if they're not.

AliCat, that's what I said! I would love one! There is a grown up pattern for it, but that just seems daunting. And it's not as cute when it's not as small.

Alison said...

Yeah, I can see that. It's like when I see a really cute pair of shoes in the store and when I pull out a pair in my size they are suddenly not so cute.

Related Posts with Thumbnails