Friday, June 25, 2010

The Orchard

(I'm feeling proud of myself for not putting that in quotation marks.... it's just that they trees are so small still, it doesn't seem like the deserve the grown up moniker of "orchard".)
Well, I guess that "tomorrow" turned into "practically a week later". I just don't know where this week has gone! It's really zoomed past.

This is a mystery squash plant that the chickens planted for us not far from the orchard.  I've been mowing around it, instead of over it, even though it's in the middle of the lawn so that I can get to find out what kind it is.  And eat the squash, of course.

Here is the orchard area its self.  It was pretty hard to get a good picture of it, but I'll try to describe what you're seeing.  The medium sized tree in the mid-ground of the photo is a Black Tartan Cherry tree that we planted last summer.  There's another in line directly behind it, but it's died this year for some reason.  I don't know why, but I hope it's not catchy!

The rest of the trees in this section are a variety of fruit trees in dwarf varieties.  Most are the Postage Stamp Orchard collection from Burgess, but there are a couple of extra dwarf apple trees that we threw in for more apple variety.  And there are three flowering cherry shrubs along the front of this section.

The lawn in the area is mostly clover, but I do keep it mowed between all the mulch circles because big weeds (like poplar trees!) will come up here as well.

In line with this orchard area, and to the east are these four thornless blackberries we planted this past spring.  I think that slugs might be bothering them, because they're not really thriving as well as I'd expect.  I think I'll put out some dishes of beer and see if that helps.


A row over a bit more to the east we have these two clumps of red raspberries that we planted in spring 2009.  They outgrew their mulch this spring, and I end up with prickles stuck in my hands every time I try to weed out the grass and clover, so for now, they're fending for themselves.  They're doing really well with it too.  These are really more like weeds than more fruiting plants are, and that's earned them a place in my heart.


This photo was taken from the south end of the row, facing north.  The others, of course, were taken facing south.  The house is out of the frame on the upper left of this photo.

These six shrubs are Elders, so I can have elderberries for wine, syrup, jelly, and tinctures.  Also, they'll make a nice big hedge, which will be nice because this is the far side of our yard, where the neighbors' fence stops.

In the background to the left, you can see the very jungly section that has volunteer sunflowers, lots of different squashes and cucumbers.  This was an experiment to see if we could hide the squash from the squash bugs this year.  Of course, they'd have an even better chance of surviving if I weeded once in a while.  Anyone want to come weed for me?  I'll pay you in baking....

I'm afraid this picture also is proof that I walk like a drunken sailor in a storm at 5:30 in the morning.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Alison said...

I don't think I could even walk at 5:30 in the morning, so your walking like a drunken sailor is an improvement over me.

How long will it take for the trees to get big enough to grow fruit? I know nothing about trees.

Bethany said...

It should be about three or four years before they get any fruit on them. Give or take.

It makes me wish I'd planted them right away when we moved here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails