Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Quick Tip

Here's something that I've figured out lately, clean the produce outside!

I'm sure you all, being smarter and more self-aware than I, realize that when you pull onions from the dirt, they come out, well, dirty. So, to keep the dirt outside where it belongs, I peel and trim onions right there by the garden.

This actually helps in two ways. One, I don't strew dirt from one end of my kitchen to the other.  And two, the root ends and tops go right back onto the mulch, into the compost, or right on the lawn to get mowed over later, saving them a trip inside and then back out again.

Of course, this bit of genius extends beyond onions.  I mean, carrot tops, radish tops, beet leaves... the possibilities are endless.

You're welcome. ;)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Worknprogress said...

Helpful p.s.a. :o) Actually, I have another idea for you I saw at a senior center garden last year. You build a small countertop with reclaimed sink and faucet, attaching your garden hose to the faucet when you need it. The drain runs right into a pipe that runs along the ground to divert your wash water to the garden.

Bethany said...

Oh yeah! I've been wanting a setup like that since we moved here. I'm unsure about when/if we'll ever do it, but it's definately on my wish list.

Mary said...

I wished I had thought of that when I decided to pull all of my multiplier onions. I had onion tops and dirt all over the kitchen. What a mess to clean up. But then it was so hot outside that all I could think of was getting into the air conditioning. :)

Tammy said...

I have also read online that you can cut off the root ends and replant. I am trying that this yr.

Related Posts with Thumbnails