Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A New Embroidery Stitch

Recently I've been inspired by fellow blogger Kim at big B to branch out a bit with my embroidery stitches. She's doing a series working through the vintage book, Coats & Clark's 100 Embroidery Stitches. I happen to have a copy as well, that I inherited from my great grandmother.  The familar cover on Kim's blog made me get mine out and browse through it.
I started this project today. It's going to be a special name sampler for a baby gift. The stitch I used here for the border is called the Knotted Cable Chain Stitch.  The example in the book is spaced more closely, and has a rounder look, but in my practicing I really liked the look of the elongated oval shaped stitches, so I went with that spacing.
I think it makes a pretty effective border, since it's not too heavy, but has a pretty shape and interesting details.
I'm glad I took the time to try something new today.

Sorry about the photo quality!  It didn't look so bad on my phone before I posted.  I've posted another better one above.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Kelsi said...

i love it!! i want to learn more stitches. how can we add hours to the day?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails