Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

By Bethany James in Corel Painter Essentials with Wacom Craft Tablet 2010
We've been having lots of fun working on the new chicken housing that's going in the new shed.  We're on a bit of a deadline, because we go to pick up a dozen new hens on Saturday. I'm looking forward to having more eggs soon, but a little apprehesive about creating an uproar in the barnyard.  I get a bit stressed when it comes to animals in disharmony.

Today we only worked for about an hour or so, partly because it's so hot!  And partly because we ran out of the screws we need to finish up our nesting boxes.  It's actually nice to feel like we're playing hooky a little, since we have been working until dark on the project for the last five days or so.

When I'm not outside feathering the nest for the new chicks, so to speak, I've been having fun going through the tutorials that came with my Wacom tablet.  I drew the little chickie picture above in Corel Painter Essentials.  Which is a crazy super fun program.  I'm really pleased with the great software that came bundled with the tablet.  It really made the whole thing such a spectacular deal, considering that Adobe products are so expensive to buy separately.

Yesterday I tried a new recipe from Cook's Country magazine for Ovenbaked Crunchy Buttermilk Chicken.  Our verdict is that it was pretty good, but not that much better than regular seasoned baked chicken, and way more expensive and way way more effort.  So I'll stick with slapping the chicken quarters on a pan and sprinkling them with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.  Much easier.

Today I baked Ben some Irish Soda Bread, since there was buttermilk left from the chicken.  Left in the carton!  I know better than to reuse anything raw chicken was soaking in, lol. 

It was a really pleasant day actually, because I didn't work outside at all until Ben came home.  Have I mentioned I don't like the hot summer weather?  I pretended it was winter out there, and stayed all day cleaning and baking.  So nice to have a break from the bugs and weeds for a bit.  It's not that I don't like to garden, it's just good to have a break from anything that you have to do a lot of once in a while, I guess.

Tomorrow, I'm planning a little dehydrating experiment with bananas.  Is the suspense killing you?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Love that picture! I hope you're having fun with your new toys. I like Cook's Country for browsing but rarely make any of their recipes. Like you said, they're really fussy, and they also don't care much about nutrition in my opinion. Still I love reading it though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails