Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Canning Blueberries

I'm finally recovered from that throat infection. I think. Yesterday I had a relapse and woke up with no voice, but today I'm feeling quite well.

I got right to canning since my poor "fresh" produce has been sitting in the fridge for a week. It didn't seem that much the worse for it, though.  Thankfully, I didn't find too many berries that I had to cull. No more than usual, I'd say.

I canned the blueberries in extra light syrup, using the instructions for "fresh berries in syrup" from my Ball book.  I wanted to do pie filling, but I couldn't find any clearjel, so I figured this would be a good compromise.  I can always thicken them for pie if I want, and they'll be great the way they are on yogurt.

I think I didn't leave enough head space though, since they seem to have lost a lot of the syrup. I hope I do better with the peaches!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Melonie said...

Glad you're feeling better!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I'm happy that you're getting better. Your blueberries look amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails