Friday, August 27, 2010

A Quick Knitting Tip

To take advantage of all the couch time I've been putting in while waiting for this throat infection to clear up, I started a new knitting project. 

This is the Cardi-Vest sweater from the latest issue of Crafts n Things.  I was intrigued by the construction, since it's knit side to side for a middle band, the the bottom ribbing and the top to the shoulders are picked up and knit from the long sides of the first piece.

Also, it's knit from Caron Simply Soft, which is a great yarn.  Yes, I just happen to have a sweater's worth of this raspberry color of Simply Soft on hand.  No, I'm not ashamed.  It took 6 years, but I've found the perfect project for it.  What can I say? I love yarn.

I don't often knit lace, and I was finding it frustrating to look back and forth between my work and the pattern.  Then I remembered a tip I'd heard in the KnitPicks podcast.

I wrote each row of the pattern repeat on one side of an index card.  That way, it's easy to know my place, and I don't look at the wrong line in the middle of knitting.  It's really made the work go much more quickly.  I like this method for lace knitting even better than following a graph.  It's a lot easier for me to keep on track with it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails