Thursday, November 04, 2010

Squashed!

I'm tempted to name the photo above, "Life-cycle".

We got a great deal on squash this past weekend when the feedstore was clearancing the butternuts and acorns along with the carving pumpkins and decoartive gourds.

We picked up a dozen butternuts for 50 cents each, which came out to about .23 cents a pound.  Anytime produce can be gotten for under a quarter a pound, I'm there!

I went to work roasting and pureeing them.  I like to preserve squash by dehydrating the puree on parchment paper in 2 cup increments.  That way it's all set to go and really easy to re-hydrate and use in any recipe calling for a can of pumpkin.

Of course, I can't have fresh squash puree on hand and not bake up a pie.  I'm so glad to have more squash to store again. I was saving the last of last year's for Thanksgiving, but now I'll have plenty for "just because" and even some to take home and share at Christmas.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails