Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Blueberry Apple Fruit Leather

Blapple? BluApple? Appleberry?

Whatever I call them, Ben loves them for snacking at work, so I set about replenishing our stash of fruit rollups yesterday.

This time, I blended together a pint of blueberries canned in very light syrup and a quart of my homemade applesauce.

Applesauce is a good choice when making fruit leather, because the natural pectin in apples help make a stretchier more pliable finished product.

I spread the mixture out on parchment paper squares and dehydrated at 135 degrees.  I probably should have taken them out after 8-10 hours, but I forgot them over night. But even being extra dried, only a few of the edges got brittle.

I think I'm going to invest in some of the reuasble non-stick sheets that excalibur carries to fit my dehydrator.  It seems wasteful to be throwing so much parchment paper away every time I make fruit leather.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

bootextiles said...

wow - I've never even heard of fruit leather. Looks really scrummy. You have a very lucky hubby x

Related Posts with Thumbnails