Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mayo-Free Egg Salad

I do not like mayo. I never have. From time to time I check to see if this has changed and try some. It has not changed. I can taste it even when people try to hide it in something and it super grosses me out.

Yet, that keeps me from the whole world of "blank"-salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, potato salad, etc.  I've tried once or twice to make egg salad without mayo, but haven't been able to. Until now, that is.

This time, I threw the kitchen sink at it, and it worked so well!

Using the hand mixer I blended neufchatel, low fat cottage cheese, light sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic powder, and about half of the yolks.

Into this, I folded the chopped whites, minced onion and celery, and finely cut chives.  I didn't salt it, since the cottage cheese and sour cream already have salt enough already.

The rest of the yolks went back out to the chickens. I'm not a huge fan of boiled yolks.

Anyway, I really glad with the way it turned out. With a little tweaking, I think it'll make a nice mayo substitute in lots of situations.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Genius! I've never loved mayo although I can stand it. I like homemade better, but I like your solution too!

Plymouth Air Conditioner Compressor said...

GORGEOUS! and the pictures are darn good too!
Makes me want to grab one - two!

sheena said...

Dodge Neon Turbo

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
its nice to read a useful article for beginner like me. Some of points from this article are very helpful for me as I haven’t considered them yet. I would like to say thank you for sharing this cool article. Bookmarked and sharing for friends.

Related Posts with Thumbnails