Thursday, March 31, 2011

Planting Onions

I planted the last of the onion sets that we're planning to put in today.

Last year we planted about 108 onions, purple, white and yellow. This year I planted about 165.  (The square foot approach I use in the raised beds makes this kind of math and record keeping very easy!)

The white ones did not do well at all, rotting in the ground and going bad quickly in storage, so this year we're only doing purple and yellow.

We shared some and ate quite a few small and as green onion, and we ran out of the ones we had stored in Jan. We're confident that if these do well, we'll have plenty to last till next spring and still share with our family and neighbors as well.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Jen Daiker said...

When they're done and ready to eat let me know and I'll send you my address. I love onions (even raw)... people think I'm nuts, I think they are.

I wanted to stop in to welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! It's going to be an absolute blast! I'm a co-host so if you have any questions just let me know! We'll also be having fun on twitter (I'm @jenunedited and can be found at #atozchallenge)!!!

Linda - Nickers and Ink said...

Welcome, spring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails