Monday, April 18, 2011

Orchard Update

I've been mulching my baby fruit trees this morning.  They all survived the winter just fine, though one did get chewed down a little. (Damn Bunny!)  I'll have to make sure I actually get around to caging them in this fall to avoid any more damage.

The cherry tree that came in the orchard pack we ordered last spring from Burgess never did grow at all, though I was very happy with all the rest of what we ordered.  Plus, they have a guarantee, so my new cherry tree to replace it is on the way sometime this week or next.

Back here in the Orchard/Berry section we've planted, dwarf versions all, three apple trees (red delicious, yellow delicious, and fuji), sand cherries, necterine, peach, pear, plum, black tartan cherry, blackberries, raspberries, and elderberries. 

I'm hoping to add some more of the sand cherries.  I don't know if they'll taste very good, but they're really pretty, and if it turns out we don't like eating them, I'm the chickens would want them, or the wild birds would be attracted to them.  I'm really hoping they're as good to eat as the catalog claimed.

We're going to be planting almonds, butternuts, and pawpaw trees this spring as well.  Those will be going at the other side of the yard, since they'd grow so much taller than the dwarf fruit trees, and we don't want to shade those out.

I'm glad to be getting these mulched! It looks so nice, but it also keeps the trees healthier, holding more moisture against the roots, and keeping down the grass and weeds that would compete with the growing trees.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I like your orchard! I want to have one someday too. Right now we have a watering problem—the spot I want it has no sprinklers. I guess I could water them myself but I'm afraid they'd die. I'm not so good with keeping fragile things alive.

Marie Anne said...

Wow, that's a lot of fruit trees! I have other shade trees but only one apple tree. My neighbor has a crapabble and peach, I think.

I should put something else in my side yard that is pretty much wasted.

Kathy said...

Fruit trees are really great to have! I'm sure you'll do just fine with them!!

I found you with the ‘surprise me’ button. I’m a new follower of yours. I'd love to have you check out my take on the A to Z Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

Bethany said...

Mrs, I carried water to ours until they were pretty well established, but we have lots of rain here, so I didn't have to do that after a few months.

Marie Anne, most of ours came in a pack called a "Postage Stamp Orchard" from Burgess. I do recommend them, as well. They have a great guarantee in case the plants don't live, and it's sort "no fault" as well, which I appreciate, because I'm not exactly good at keeping trees and plants alive yet. Plus, they're willing to replace the replacements, if they don't make it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails