Thursday, August 25, 2011

Homemade Chicken Fingers

This is one of my new favorite ways to have chicken.  We very rarely eat meat as a main dish, anymore, so when I have a chunk of meat, I like to make it special.

This is more of a method than a recipe.  We recently got about six pounds of all natural chicken breast tenders on a great clearance deal.  It was such a luxury not to have to cut and trim the chicken breasts myself, I made them all into chicken fingers.


Start with a set up like this (disregard the messes in the background, I'm trying to reorganize the kitchen).  From left to right: flour seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, etc, beaten eggs, crumbs (I made my crumbs with whole wheat ritz crackers and parmasean cheese.  You can use any bread, cracker, cereal crumb you'd like to try.  I absolutely endorse adding the cheese.), and a sheet pan lined with non-stick foil brush with a little oil.  The non-stick foil is essential in my experience to keep the breading from sticking and coming off the chicken.  The oil will promote crunchy browning.

After you set up, you just rinse the chicken, dredge it in the flour, coat it in the egg, and cover it in the crumbs.  Lay it on the foil, and bake for about twenty minutes, flip, and bake for twenty minutes more, or until the centers measure 160 degrees.

 Yummy, crunchy, homemade, realtively healthy chicken fingers!



I bagged these up to store in the freezer for quick meals when I don't feel like cooking or want a treat.  I'm not really sure how they'll thaw or reheat, so I don't have any recommendations about how to do that.  I'll let you know how they turn out when we have the frozen ones later.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

anthony stemke said...

I too am not sure how they will be after freezing, but they sure look great going in.

Bethany said...

They taste really great too. I have to say, the ritz crackers, even whole wheat ones, are far from healthy, but they sure do add a certain buttery something to the finished product.

Related Posts with Thumbnails