Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Gaining...

I've gotten a few concerned emails from readers who worry that our trainer may be taking losing weight to the extreme, by reducing my daily calories to 1300-1400.  I want to assure them that though I agree that this could be extreme, I have been feeling fine, and as long as I'm sure not to skip any snack or meal, I don't get hungry or ill feeling at all.  Also, please know that I am completely in charge of the process and will always have the final decision of what our food buying, meal plans, recipes look like.

I would like to make another point that's been so important for me lately.  I don't care how much I weigh.  I don't care what size I wear.  Not objectively anyway.  I care, of course, in as far as those numbers enable or limit my ablilties, but it's the ABILITY, not the number that's important.

To me, this is an important distinction, because I want to start out, and continue, working with the trainer and learning about serious working out positively.  To me, always talking about what you can't have, what you have to give up or lose is just so sapping.  So depressing.  So un-nurturing.

Here's what I do care about:

How far I can walk - whether I can make it up a hill to see a scenic outlook, or hike back for gas if we run out, or if I can spend all day on my feet--spring cleaning or at the zoo
If I can pick up heavy things - carrying feed to the chicken house, moving wheelbarrows of compost, watering fruit trees by the bucketful
How hard I can work - hoeing, tilling, bending, planting, digging
How much fun I can have - biking new places, learning new things like hiking or backpacking, being fit and able to volunteer outside my home without feeling too tired to finish my work inside it, attend any event, not worrying about whether we have to walk a mile or two to get there, have the energy for site seeing, vacations, etc.

The whole reason I started talking about fitness/diet in the first place, and got really serious about it, is because I could see I was losing things.  Losing my health, a little at a time, so it was hardly noticeable.  Losing my physical abilities, so I was surprised to find myself out of breath walking terrain I'd walked easily before.

I'm not going to be losing anymore.  Now I'm gaining.  I'm gaining stamina and endurance.  Gaining skills I'd lost in high school, and the energy to enjoy dancing fast and having fun again.  Gaining peace of mind, knowing that I'm not sick or too tired, knowing that I'll be up to the task, whatever it is.  Gaining skills and tools to do my job better and live my life more fully, helping others and giving of myself.

I'm simply just not interested in losing weight.  What I'm really after is being awesome.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Brigette said...

Where IS that "like" button?!?!

anthony stemke said...

This is an absolutely beautiful post. What a tremendous outlook, as defined by your comments.
Good on ya and keep on.

Bethany said...

Brigette, on the FB version of my blog! ;)

Anthony, thank you. Glad you liked it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails