Monday, August 06, 2012

Instant Refried Beans


I recently discovered how convenient and tasty instant refried beans are. Perfect for a quick snack when I don't have much else ready, and very simple to make in large quantities.

I started by soaking and cooking a big crock pot full of pinto beans, with onions and garlic. After draining them, I mixed it all up with my stick blender, using reserved bean liquid to accretive the right consistency.

I leave out the fat both for caloric reasons and because fats do not dehydrate well.

After I have my mashed beans I spread them onto my trays (lined w non stick sheets) to an even quarter inch thick.

Dehydrate at 125 degrees for about six hours. The beans crack and break apart while they dry, like a mud puddle.

I ran the crumbles through the blender, to make them fine. To re-hydrate, I just mix boiling water into some bean crumbles until it seems to be the right consistency, and let it stand, covered, for ten minutes or so. Delicious!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Whit said...

What a great idea!!

Melonie said...

This is awesome! I never would have thought of this!

Bama Girl said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I can hardly believe it! Hopefully you have more recipes like this you can share! Blessings from Bama!

Anonymous said...

How do you store them, and for how long will they keep?

Anonymous said...

What is the shelf life of this? Sounds like a good one to do and put into bags and have for an emergency. They are very nutritional.

Toilie Baker said...

Curious as to the storage and shelf life also.

Anonymous said...

What do you use or non stick sheets

SC Lady said...

bet would be good re-hydrated with either beef or chicken low salt broth

Alison said...

How does this work out for cost in comparison with canned beans?

Related Posts with Thumbnails